My name is Roland Hess. Here is a list of things that I do in no particular order:
- Develop for the Blender open source project
- Write books (here and here, another one coming in 2011)
- Serve as the technical expert for other people’s books (here, here and here)
- Build, configure and run Linux servers
- Develop AJAX-based web applications on the LAMP stack
- Create art, animation
- Plumbing, roofing, electrical, masonry, septic, carpentry
- Try to become a better shot
- Apply my expert knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress and InDesign at work
- Brew and keg my own beer
- Play the organ (all four manuals plus the pedals!)
- Play various other instruments
- Sing (I’ve performed on-field at an NFL game, and sung the National Anthem at a MLB game)
I also graduated from an Ivy League school (Penn). It’s neither here nor there in general, but that really impresses some people. So if you’re one of those people and have lots of cash you want to throw at a Penn grad, call me!
I like to be busy, and if I’m not writing a book at the moment, it means that I need more to do. So, if you have an animation or web development project that needs someone with an artistic eye but an engineering temperament, shoot me a message. You can grab a .PDF of my resume here.
Why “harkyman?” My oldest daughter asserted several years ago that all girls like Barbies and all boys like – what’s that called, dad? Harkyman? She meant to say Pokemon, but I liked “harkyman” better. I still do.